Shopsmith Forums

Go Back   Shopsmith Forums > Main Woodworking Forum > Maintenance and Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Default Loose idler bearing

Inspecting my new (60's vintage) shopsmith, I discovered that one of the idler shaft bearings is loose in the eccentric bushing. It does not appear to have spun. How can I correct this? I am considering staking or an adhesive, but I have no experience in either.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Pictures, pictures, pictures. Only found one bearing on the idler shaft. Be sure to use something, washer or clamps to prevent the idler shaft from exiting the headstock. Check the set screw in the eccentric bushing. If it has a point, then this point should fit in a center groove on the idler shaft bearing. Just do not over tighten. The idler shaft bearing will make a clicking noise if too tight. I move the eccentric bushing within the headstock casing to get the upper belt riding straight. I have been using a knurl grip cup set screw in the eccentric bushing. Sometimes I have to grind just a little off the set screw head to clear the headstock casing. This allow me to position the idler shaft bearing at different locations within the eccentric bushing and keep the eccentric bushing againest the washer in the "B" & "C" headstocks.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

This is a Mark VII, it has two bearings in the eccentric bushing. I am not familiar with other shopsmith models.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothungry3
Inspecting my new (60's vintage) shopsmith, I discovered that one of the idler shaft bearings is loose in the eccentric bushing. It does not appear to have spun. How can I correct this? I am considering staking or an adhesive, but I have no experience in either.

Define 'loose'.

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4"jointer/6"beltsander/1"stripsander/bandsaw/ /powerstation/Craftsman10"ras/Craftsman6"thicknessplaner/ /Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ /10[COLOR=Red]E[/COLOR](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Gold Member

Close sliding fit.
The bearing came out of the bushing when I removed the bushing from the headstock, so I assumed it was an id fit. Upon closer inspection, I found it was seized on a rough spot on the shaft. I came off with light pressure by hand. I am assuming both bearings should be pressed into the bushing and the bushing bore is oversize. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Idler Shaft Assy.jpg (141.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Idler Shaft Exploded.jpg (171.6 KB, 48 views)