Shopsmith Forums

Go Back   Shopsmith Forums > Main Woodworking Forum > Beginning Woodworking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

Default How to make this cut/notch on board corners

I am needing to make a 3/4 x 3/4 notch on all 4 corners of a 12X24X1 board.

What's the easiest way to do that? I will be needing to do this on more than 1 board, up to 10, so repeat-ability is ideal.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Gold Member

This notch you write of is called a rabbet (assuming I understand what you mean). Using a dado blade on the table saw would be the best for repeatability in this instance. Attach a block of wood to your rip fence so you don't damage the fence. Cut the end grain on both sides first to prevent tearout. See pages 8-14 (especially figures 3-40 and 3-41) of the following link: http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/tbl...ery/090902.pdf. For the size of the stock you are using, I would most likely use the method seen in figure 3-40.

If you don't have a dado blade and cannot buy one. A router with a straight cutting bit and a clamped straight edge can be used as well, you'll either have to reset the straight edge for every cut (time) or you'll have make a jig (time +money).

Finally, if you don't have a dado or router, you can use the normal table saw blade to make multiple cuts in each rabbet, nibbling away at the wood you want to remove, one sawblade width at a time (very time consuming)

Last edited by tvidnoviciii : 06-21-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

I appreciate the reply, but I am not sure I was clear in my initial post.

I understand the rabbet you pointed me to, but I am looking for something more like the attached, cutting the corners off to end up with a plus-like shape, if that makes sense...
Attached Images
File Type: png Wood.png (642 Bytes, 143 views)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Gold Member

OK, I understand now.

With the size of the stock you are using, the easiest method would be to use a bandsaw with a fence.

If only one side of the boards is going to be visible in the final product, you could use your table saw, to cut to your marks, but you would have saw marks underneath where the blade didn't puncture.

If it were me, I'd probably stack all of the peices I wanted to cut together and clamp them, making a 12x24x10" block. Then I would use a curcular saw with depth set at 3/4" and a straight edge to make the 8 cuts necessary to remove the corners. Does that make sence?

Finally, if you have to cut one at a time and both sides are going to be visible, I'd use a router with a straight cutting bit to cut out most of the stock and then use a hand chisel to square up the corners.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

I like the idea of clamping to make a 12x24x10" block and circular saw-ing it.

I think that's how I'll tackle it.

Thanks for the great idea!