Shopsmith Forums

Go Back   Shopsmith Forums > Main Woodworking Forum > Beginning Woodworking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Default Spinning wheel

Finished my latest project, a spinning wheel for my daughter, for her birthday. I think I am getting better at this, I was only a week late

Name:  dodec front.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  dodec rear.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  106.2 KB

I had to try it out so I borrowed some roving (carded fiber) and spun a few feet of yarn.

Name:  firstyarn.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  101.0 KB

Not bad for a first try..

The plans are available for free online. Dodec Spinning Wheel

And the designer has YouTube channel showing parts of the build and how it is used to spin. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnOR...ctivity_view=3

I made a few modifications on the one I built.

1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, DC3300, 10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

When I saw the title, I assumed this was going to be one of those faux spinning wheels that were popular with decorators a few decades ago which were purely for show. I see this is, instead, a real, functioning spinning wheel. Pretty cool!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Gold Member

Nice job, Im hoping you make a loom next?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry
Nice job, Im hoping you make a loom next?

Probably not any time soon. My daughter has been sewing all of her own clothes for several years now but only started knitting late last year.

Last spring she took a class on spinning with a drop spindle but wasn't having much success with it. So when I spotted the plans for this wheel I thought I would surprise her with it.

It was not expensive to build, about $8.00 for the wood (2 1x4x8' pine boards) plus 3' of 1/4" hardwood dowel and hardware, maybe $20 total.

I did much of it on my 10ER, the 12 inch disk sander for sanding parts to shape and for cleaning up the end grain cuts, and horizontal boring for the holes in the wheel (first time I have used this mode ).

My finishing technique needs work. I used a pre-stain wood conditioner (first time for this) , wipe on stain and clear lacquer (lots of drips and runs) .

So for me it was a skill building project and quality time in the shop.

1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, DC3300, 10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Gold Member

Very nice!

Not only am I going to keep these plans for use as-is (my wife is just getting into knitting; she'd love this!), I've been looking for some treadle-powered grinding wheel plans. This will be very easy to adapt!

I've always had issues grinding my hand plane blades. I almost always overheat the bevel and lose temper. I could get a slow speed grinding wheel or a water cooled setup, but a really-low speed standard grinder is just what I've been thinking about. I almost bought one of the antique hand-crank grinders from Ebay; I just couldn't figure out an easy way to hook it to a treadle.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Gold Member

Looking good!

It is always nice to see other peoples projects. It looks like an interesting project to do especially when it can be given as a gift to a loved one.

Keep up the good work.

Ed
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Gold Member

Default gift

my sister-in-law is a knitter and spins her own yarn. I think will make this for her