Shopsmith Forums

Go Back   Shopsmith Forums > Main Woodworking Forum > General Woodworking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2009, 04:53 PM
blindman blindman is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Harstine Island, Shelton, WA
Posts: 3
Default bandsaw blade length???

Anyone know what blade size is used on the bandsaw. I'm planning on buying a non shopsmith blade and can't find a size in my manual. But then, I am blind
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Gene Howe Gene Howe is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snowflake, AZ
Posts: 1,847
Default

72".

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."
__________________
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
dusty's Avatar
dusty dusty is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tucson (Wildcat Country), Arizona
Posts: 13,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman
Anyone know what blade size is used on the bandsaw. I'm planning on buying a non shopsmith blade and can't find a size in my manual. But then, I am blind
Thanks

No, you are not blind. I don't believe I have seen this number printed in any Shopsmith document or catalog.

You need a 72" blade if you have the 11" Shopsmith Bandsaw.

Here is one reference that confirmes the size for a Shopsmith bandsaw.

I do wonder why you are specifically lookig for a non-Shopsmith blade.

http://www.allbandsawblades.com/olson_hradBack.htm
__________________
"If one's words are not better than silence, one should keep silent." -Caine

Not Making Much Saw Dust Lately
Dusty
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
blindman blindman is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Harstine Island, Shelton, WA
Posts: 3
Default

Thought I would try a Woodslicer blade from Highland woodworking. I have a lot of resawing to do and have not been overly pleased with old blade 1/2 " from olson. Its getting aged
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2009, 06:54 PM
charlese's Avatar
charlese charlese is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 6,048
Default

Don't know about that manufacturer, but for re-sawing, get a skip toothed blade.
__________________
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
reible's Avatar
reible reible is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 5,078
Default

Hi,

Don't have the shopsmith bandsaw but I do have this blade. Make sure you get the additional information on how to tension it from Highland and I hope it works with the shopsmith band saw.

This is a GREAT blade, best I've ever had since I've had my bandsaw (early 1970's).

Ed


Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman
Thought I would try a Woodslicer blade from Highland woodworking. I have a lot of resawing to do and have not been overly pleased with old blade 1/2 " from olson. Its getting aged
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
tdubnik's Avatar
tdubnik tdubnik is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Talmo, GA
Posts: 487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reible
Hi,

Don't have the shopsmith bandsaw but I do have this blade. Make sure you get the additional information on how to tension it from Highland and I hope it works with the shopsmith band saw.

This is a GREAT blade, best I've ever had since I've had my bandsaw (early 1970's).

Ed

Ed,

I bought one of these blades for my Shopsmith bandsaw and it seems to work fine with the normal tension settings. Highland did not provide any specific instructions as to tensioning it differently. I went to the Highland store as I live relatively close (50 miles) and talked with the staff at length about this blade and other woodworking topics.

What information did you receive regarding tensioning the blade?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM
reible's Avatar
reible reible is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 5,078
Default

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/resaw.pdf

Ed


Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubnik
Ed,

I bought one of these blades for my Shopsmith bandsaw and it seems to work fine with the normal tension settings. Highland did not provide any specific instructions as to tensioning it differently. I went to the Highland store as I live relatively close (50 miles) and talked with the staff at length about this blade and other woodworking topics.

What information did you receive regarding tensioning the blade?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
dlbristol's Avatar
dlbristol dlbristol is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Collbran, Colorado
Posts: 846
Default Band saw data

I found the length listed on page 7 of my "11 in bandsaw" reference manual (555943) Copyright 2003. Just happened to be getting ready to do some resawing on a bed project and saw the data. Otherwise I probably would never have remembered it!!!
I have started to make a habbit of reading the manuals before I start using one of the attachments that I don't use often, like the band saw and planer. Seems to be a good idea.
__________________
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceramic Blade Guides for the Bandsaw ldh Woodworking Tool Review 32 07-25-2012 12:30 PM
Bandsaw Blade Tension Lodgepole Maintenance and Repair 16 03-10-2009 02:16 PM
Bandsaw Blade Runoff meredj Maintenance and Repair 18 02-10-2009 08:06 PM
Ceramic Bandsaw guides Ed in Tampa Woodworking Tool Review 4 12-12-2008 10:44 PM
band saw blade leads off center houstonguy Beginning Woodworking 10 06-14-2008 02:55 AM




Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.