Shopsmith Forums

Go Back   Shopsmith Forums > Main Woodworking Forum > Beginning Woodworking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Gold Member

Default Set Screws

In an off topic discussion in another thread there was discussion about the arbor set screw and concern about it coming loose. This discussion sent me looking for this thread.

It is important, when replacing set screws, to replace them with the right type and size. Knowing what is right is hard to achieve. I hope the listing posted in the referenced thread helps to that end.

I also hope that is there are errors those are pointed out.

This is another version of the list of set screws I compiled earlier and referenced here.

Shopsmith Setscrews, Version 5 for the Forum.doc

Note: The number in the second column is the reference number used in the online catalog illustrated parts lists.

The colored back ground indicates that this part is also used elsewhere.

This list is a compilation of data gathered from a small sample set of equipments and does not represent the final word. If you see what seems to be an error, PLEASE report that here in this thread.

Don't labor under the assumption that if you have the "Help Kit" your set screw requirements are satisfied. There are a number of set screws used by Shopsmith that are NOT in the Help Kit.

Added Information: 4/30/2012

I have added a small amount of additional data to the chart referenced above. A have also changed the format (sorted on part number) hopefully to make the data more useful. If I could only post this in excel format so that you guys/gals could sort at will but the forum doesn't provide that capability.

Shopsmith Setscrews Version 6 for the Forum.doc

The information contained in the last column (far right) provides access to a Fastenal site that provides more detail about the parts. This link also provides a digital image of the part in question. Simple google that URL and you'll be there.

I don't know why some of the URLs are in blue while others are not.

Making Sawdust Safely
Dusty

Last edited by dusty : 04-30-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Dusty! This is one of those things that one wishes that they had when the time comes!

John
FlashbacPT
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

Thank you for this list. I just didn't realize there was a difference in setscrews. They all look alike to me.

To help with my education, could someone explain why the difference in the ends and under what circumstances you would use one kind and not another. Why a flat? Domed? Pointed? etc?

Oddie

510(upgraded 500), 500, 10ER, power station, belt sander, bandsaw, jointer, SS compressor, jigsaw, dust collector
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Dusty, That is saved in the SS binder.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddie
Thank you for this list. I just didn't realize there was a difference in setscrews. They all look alike to me.

To help with my education, could someone explain why the difference in the ends and under what circumstances you would use one kind and not another. Why a flat? Domed? Pointed? a Dogged, a Half Dogged, a Serrated etc?

Some of the various answers are obvious but I do hope someone cames up with a good explanation for why one and not another in a given application.

The one that goes in the top of the quill is a half dog and a visual examination of the landing area (in the groove on top of the quill) provides the answer. That along with the fact that you really do not want hard contact between the quill and the set screw.

Others are not so obvious. Why a pointed and not a serrated? or vice versa? Why a domed and not not a flat?

This is part of my complaint with the incomplete Shopsmith description. Example: A 5/16"-18x1/2" can be satisfied by several wrong setscrews for a specific application.

Making Sawdust Safely
Dusty

Last edited by dusty : 02-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddie

To help with my education, could someone explain why the difference in the ends and under what circumstances you would use one kind and not another. Why a flat? Domed? Pointed? etc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_screw

Flat or dome point(quill shaft) Used where scarring of the shaft is undesirable.

Cup point Digs into shaft to grip more tightly (way tubes etc)

Serrated cup Acts similar to a lock washer

Point cup Old water pump idler shaft bearing eccentric

Half dog Quill anti rotation(top of headstock)

Cup or Serrated cup should only be used where disassembly is seldom or never and shaft scarring can be tolerated.

Add to the points variations is the self locking type(nyloc etc.) and driver type(slotted/allen/...)

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4"jointer/6"beltsander/1"stripsander/bandsaw/ /powerstation/Craftsman10"ras/Craftsman6"thicknessplaner/ /Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ /10[COLOR=Red]E[/COLOR](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Last edited by JPG40504 : 02-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

Here is a link I found that shows drawings (we like pictures ) of the different set screw point styles and a short description of why they are used.

http://www.rctek.com/technical/fixings/grub_screws.html

1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, 10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

One that I am fond of is a brass tipped set screw. Generally non marking on steel and reasonably self locking. I'm out right now but need to pick up some more. IIRC my Ace Hardware carries them but not very cheaply. Still it is cheaper than a drive to Indy. Then again there are an awfully lot of places to eat in Indy.

Name:  temp brass tipped ser screw.jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  3.9 KB

I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Old 02-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson46176
One that I am fond of is a brass tipped set screw. Generally non marking on steel and reasonably self locking. I'm out right now but need to pick up some more. IIRC my Ace Hardware carries them but not very cheaply. Still it is cheaper than a drive to Indy. Then again there are an awfully lot of places to eat in Indy.

Attachment 16456

Where do you use these? Maybe what I should ask is "Do you chose to use these in lieu of specified tips"?

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0134831

Making Sawdust Safely
Dusty
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

$3.53 for one set screw! Holy crap You guys must be made out of money

Jeff